I had a lot of trouble with the markers because I didn't realise how precise you had to be with the lines. With graphite, chalk, etc, mistakes are easily blended out but the lines produced by markers are much sharper. I worked much slower (hence the unfinished nose) because I was trying to be very precise and accurate with my contour line, which is something I struggled with in my past drawings. For shading, I found that if I brushed very lightly across the surface of the paper, I could produce a soft, "feathery" line that worked well. I tried really hard to shade in the direction of the shape, and I think I mostly succeeded. Finally, I had a bit of trouble working around the rings of the notebook when initially sketching the composition. I deliberately cut through the middle of the hand because it was the part of the hand with the least detail so it wouldn't be cutting too much out, and also, it split the hand nicely in half. For interest, I filled the space diagonally.
I liked the combination of rapidograph and markers because the rapidograph pens allowed me to create a very precise contour line, and include very small details. I think I did a good job being very deliberate with my shading, creating clear values. I tried including some hatching combined with the more blended shading style, which created a pretty strange texture. I'm not sure how I feel about it. I should have managed my time better as well, because I didn't have time to finish the details in the teeth and the shadow.

No comments:
Post a Comment