Labels

#sol16 (32) apart3d (12) apartdrawing (19) art (11) bootcamp (6) Digital Citizenship (1) ela (2) genius hour (9) gr3 (4) gr4 (34) gr5 (98) gr6 (53) gr7 (4) gr8 (1) gr9 (12) homebase (10) math (24) Math Enrichment (3) pe (17) reading (1) readingworkshop (1) rla (6) science (14) slc2016 (9) social studies (1) spanish (49) ss (10) strings (6) studioart (14) teched (2) video (10) writing (17)

Monday, 1 February 2016

The Biggest Burger Problem - ME


Mallie's Sports Grill, a Michigan restaurant recently made a 360 pound burger in an effort to set the world record to make the largest burger ever made. It looks delicious. Here are the details: It takes 20 hours to bake 270 pounds of meat and it takes 8 hours to cool in a freezer. The meat cooks down to a 180 pound patty because it looses ⅓ of the original meat weight.

Question 4 - First, I knew that proportional relationships have to be related by multiplication or division. I knew that 360, the weight of the burger divided by six is sixty, which is the weight of the toppings (that’s ⅙), so I divided thirty, the total weight of one of the burgers, because I needed to find what the combined weight of toppings for the 30 pound burger is, and the combined weight of toppings is always ⅙ the amount of the total weight of the burger. I then divided 5 by 3, because 20, the weight of the cheese in the 360 pound burger is ⅓ the amount of toppings, so, because it's a proportional relationship I had to divide 5 by 3, to get the amount of cheese. I continued this way until I found all parts of the burger.

Question 5- I had to divide 360 by ⅔ because I knew that the I needed to find what a ⅔  burger would weigh compared to a 360 pound burger. I divided 360 by ⅔ by using the reciprocal, because it's the best way. I made 360 into 360/1 because when multiplying, you multiply straight across. I multiplied because by changing ⅔ to 3/2 , and that way, I could multiply 360/1 by 3/2, and the product would be the same as the quotient. I found out that 540 people could eat the 360 pound burger, if each person had ⅔.

No comments:

Post a Comment